Started Sailing

Rigging Question

I read in a sailing article "...rig bald-headed and reefed...."

What does the "bald-headed" refer to?

Thank you


Comments for Rigging Question

Click here to add your own comments

Nov 03, 2009
The bald-headed rig.
by: Han

Hi Dan,
This type of rig is the result of modernization of the square rig in the run of the 19th century.
In the 18th and early 19th centuries the rigs were built very high, which did not add to wind-efficiency. The introduction of studding sails, steel masts, spars and rigging and the need to economise on crew-cost led to more efficient rigs (in the 2nd half of the 19th century) from which the uppermost sails, sometimes referred to as moonrakers, had disappeared.
This was called the bald-headed rig.
To my knowledge it has nothing to do with schooners.
If you need to know more, don't hesitate to ask.

Sep 02, 2015
by: Anonymous

When the student reaches the higher level of studies like graduate and post graduate level, one interesting requirement superior papers review of studies occur. This interesting task is the assignment writing.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask The Expert!.

Random Tip of the Day:

Find Started Sailing on Facebook
Follow Started Sailing on Twitter

Smooth Sailing
Sailing Games
Sailing Photos

Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright EMAR Publishers © 2009-2011